Wednesday 27 November 2013

A mid-week swimming treat (or two)


This week Sid and I decided to have some time in the lieu and set off on a mid-week, afternoon truant. We decided to go for a swim at the Drummoyne Olympic Pool, or Crummy Drummy as labelled by Mr Ocean Swims Paul Ellercamp. To me it’s not at all Crummy, more Scrummy in fact. However my vision impairment means I don’t notice the reputed low cleanliness standards of the changing rooms!  The Drummy is set against the bay in Drummoyne and has a lovely vista. The 50 metre heated pool is saltwater which provides a great swimming boost. So I can feel pleased with my swimming with thoughts like:  “I was swimming well today” and “I’m really fit at the moment,” conveniently forgetting the saltwater factor. 

We went on Tuesday afternoon. The pool was almost deserted and we had a lane each, what luxury. I had a modest swim trying to be nice to my swimmer’s shoulder. I used some toys to take the strain off my shoulder, nice light bendy flippers and a miracle kickboard that purports to do wonders for the core. Sid managed to do his whole swim freestyle. Well done Sid! We had a lovely swim, peaceful, warm and tranquil. On arriving home we discovered I had left aforementioned miracle kickboard on the poolside. “Oh no! this means we have to go back tomorrow” (I’ll remember this trick!). So, on the following day we had another mid-week truant to retrieve the miracle kickboard. It wasn’t there. Somebody had obviously recognised its supersonic core developing properties unparalleled by other kickboards, and snaffled it. Oh well, might as well have a swim then. This time we swam in the morning and it was a lot busier with the local kiddies having their learn-to-swim classes. It was still uncrowded though with around two swimmers per lane. Today Sid’s progress continues and he completed a longer session freestyle. I put in a 2.7 km swim and emerged brimming with endomorphs and happy feelings.
I am savouring these wonderful Sydney outdoor 50 metre pools. These swimming delights will be replaced by different swimming experiences next year with summer swimming in the UK. I’m also enjoying the truanting!

No comments:

Post a Comment